View Single Post
Old 05-03-2002, 07:41 PM   #192
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Because I was talking about the potential armed Jews in Nazi Germany, and you were talking about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (in which the side opposing the military has bombs and so forth).
ahh... now I understand. The point was that if the Jews had been armed and resisting, it would have taken a large number of German troops to control them... irregardless of relative training levels. The Isreali example was just to illustrate that it takes a military commitment that is larger than the numbers of resisters to attempt to contain an organized resistance. In the case of Germany, the large numbers of troops required would have been significant (and might have limited other military options). So basically... it's my opinion that armed civilian resistance can have a significant impact on military operations. It's admittedly an aside but it does mean that when a population is armed, those in power who might wish to do them harm for some reason will not just be able collect them up and control them with ease.