View Single Post
Old 08-15-2001, 06:26 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Absolutely agree.

My girlfriend Taryn was the one who said this to me, fifteen months ago. We'd met (in a nightclub of all places) and hit it off and had very strong feelings and a lot of chemistry with each other, but I didn't want to make a commitment to her since she was going back to Canada in four months and she travels the world as part of her work. I didn't want to set myself up for a fall, you know? But after one boozy night we got to talking about this stuff, and she said that to me. I realized, despite (or perhaps because of) my alchohol-induced haze how true that was. Win, lose or draw, it was up to me to make the most out of the relationship, because life's too short to worry about what might have been.

I now feel as though the three months that we spent together was time that really enriched me and added so much value and learning to my life and if I hadn't decided to give it a go back then I would be the poorer for it. She's since been travelling the world and is back in Canada but is coming back to Sydney this summer and when we parted at Sydney Airport last year it was with smiles as we were just parting in body, not in spirit. She's my soulmate and we speak often. And even if we don't speak every week when we do speak it's like we've never been apart.

So I don't see myself as having "loved and lost" so to speak, because I don't think I've lost anything. Even if it doesn't work out in the end and we find out that we're not meant to be together, I've learned so much from this experience and it's made me a better person.

Every experience, every relationship, every fling that you have with someone is teaching you something about yourself and about the person that you will one day spend the rest of your life with. It's up to YOU to take advantage of that learning and enrich yourself as a result of it, come what may.

You'll never know if you don't give it a go!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 08-15-2001).]