View Single Post
Old 09-07-2002, 12:11 AM   #1
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Spoiler
Please excuse the "French" within my thread title, but I'm having a whole HEEP of trouble in the "ambush fight" at the Fort, it's the fight at the end (I'm guessing it's the end) of the prologue.

I've got a level 2 Human/fighter who has 28 hp, 18 ac, longsword, tower shield, splint mail, and a secondary weapon of a heavy crossbow. Then I have a level 2 dual-wielding Drow/ranger with 26 hp, 17 ac, two short swords, studded leather, and a secondary weapon of a light crossbow. Then I have a level 2 Human/cleric with 18 hp, 17 ac, a mace, a small shield, studded leather, four cl-spell slots with: one Command, two Heal Light Wounds, one Mnstr Sum, and then I have one domain spell of Sunscorch. Next, I have a Lightfoot Halfling/rogue with 18 hp, 17 ac, short sword, small shield, a second weapon of a heavy crossbow, leather armor, and the Feat, Rapid Shot. Then I've got a level 2 Drow/evoker who has 14 hp, 17 ac, a sling, Fhaen's Robe of Rags, 5 spell slots consisting of: 2 Ice Daggers, and 3 sleep spells. And last but not least, a level 1 Deep Gnome/conjurer with 7 hp, 19 ac, a sling, and 3 spell slots filled with Mnstr Sum.

Now the reason I'm having so much trouble in this battle is because it consists of three (I think it's three) groups of Goblin hordes (among other creatures) who simply tear down my two main fighters. I can beat the first two groups of monsters without getting any party members killed through using my spells and and flaming oils. However, when that third horde of monsters arrive, my party is quite weakened and simply can't finish the job. Now I realize that you can run back into the commander's building and receive some healing from the Priest in there, but you have to (I think) take the whole party with you. And there is no way of leaving the army fort and sleeping to rejuvinate your spell casters. One of my tactics was to cast a sleep spell into the center of the goblin/wolf horde, and that seems to work fairly well but it doesn't last for long. Another problem are those DAMN goblin archers, they seem to really do some heavy (4-8 hp) damage to my "tanks".
What I would like to do is station my party inside the "commander's building" and send out my two best fighters into the battle. When they start to become weakoned, I'll have them run back into the building to get all healed up by the "army priest". But I don't think I am allowed to do this. So that is why I am asking for your help in puting together an effective strategy for killing these annoying little (but tough) Gobblins. Oh wait, I almost forgot to mention, I set the difficulty level to "Hard", which does double damage. This could probably be another reason why I'm having one Hell of a time.
Thanks for your suggestions and help. [img]smile.gif[/img]