Thread: Steam?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Default Re: Steam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
I hate any system that ask me to connect to the net, or does not give me the game ready to play on a permanent media. If I buy something, it's mine. I don't want to have to ask permission to play it, and I certainly want to have a copy of it handy in case I need it.

What happen if a company that require a net connection close up, You lose your purchase forever? Or what if you decide you won't want the internet anymore? Any purchase that has strings attached to it is not really yours, and that piss me off.
Firstly, valve have a very strong business model and don't seem any more likely than say, EA, to dissappear overnight. Secondly, they have promised to release a no-steam patch for all Steam protected titles if the steam network did go down.

And thirdly, Id far rather put up with Steam than with StarForce, or secuROM, or any of the other protection systems which have caused me far more problems. The worst that Steam has done to me was to go down for a day or so, and they fixed the problems that lead to the january '05 problems. I've never had to warez a game I bought over Steam to be able to play it, which I cant say for any other major protection.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote