View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Lucern
Quintesson

Default Re: Personal Statement, Uni Applications

If the application isn't asking for a writing sample, the personal statement could be your only chance to prove that you can write.

In any case, I had to write one to go to college here, and another one to go to graduate school.

Some things to think about:

Yeah you want to study law, but is there a particular reason you want to go to University X to study it there?

Everyone's going to say they have a passion about law. You might say something more intellectual about law.

"While reading Jacque Derrida's The Force of Law, it occurred to me that law and justice do not necessarily go hand in hand, and yet people seem to believe/assume it does. The law as a field is therefore wrought with interesting paradoxes that can tell us volumes about the relationships between people and state institutions."

Okay, so I'm on the road to being a political-legal anthropologist, so that's how I'd phrase something like that. It gave me an idea though: most people will be writing to talk about how they want to practice law. They want the $$ of being a lawyer somewhere, and they want to argue, etc. You may stand out by professing an interest in the field of law or of legal scholarship - broader questions of concern about the relationship between law and state, law and citizens, etc. This may or may not be true, but as you said, so little of what's written in these things is lol.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote