View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 08:40 AM   #30
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I do know, Epona, that in the US, there's a rather hypocritical view about sex and things of a sexual nature. In all but the most liberal areas of America, frank talk about sex and practicing safe sex is not all that common (at least in my particular experience, which is, what, 0.0000000047% of the households?).

Over here, we have nuts who shoot people who disagree with their views on abortion, sex education, religion, or just about anything else. Frankly, I wish the US were more open to discussion of sex and related topics; that might, in and of itself, curb a lot of the excitement factor. After all, why sneak out to do something if your parents have already talked to you about it, given their opinions on the matter, and had a frank discussion with you? Takes all of the excitement factor right out of it.

And to look at it the other way, if someone were to have a frank discussion with their 16-year-old child about sex and safe sex, the media would have a lot of fun roasting them for their "abnormal" practices. Makes good headlines, that does.

There may also be one other aspect. I remember what I was like at the ages of 16 through about 24, and it wasn't pretty. In a lot of ways, I was a huge walking hormone, and it's kind of embarrassing to look back on it. Since everyone else I knew was pretty much the same way (or at least, that's what I think), I tend to believe everyone is like that, evidence or not. And so, I want to protect my daughter against a smooth-talking ball of testosterone who'll say just about anything and do just about anything to get what he wants.

I mean, if she's going to make the decision, I want it to be hers, and not someone else's who has sold her on what the world will be like afterward.

So self-loathing may be part of the mix as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.