Thread: LOF: Awakenings
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #105
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Kuankreid

The Sleeper Dreamt

Fire consumed the land, cloaking it in ash and shadow. The town lay in ruins; torn in two by a battle the likes of which had never been seen in its small, sleepy walls. Raw magical energy forced into spells, corrupted by shadow, edged against the light of the setting sun… crimson stained the sky, spires of smoke rising to the heavens in an alter of glorious sacrifice.

Locksville was no more.

The titanic battle had claimed the villagers lives; those who were not dead were claimed as shadows; slaves, minions who would serve their duty. Even now, the spectre of Gillian hovered nearby, his shade more obedient in this unlife than it ever had been in life. But the cost… oh the cost. His beloved Ainyra… she lay dead at his feet.

Kuan let out a roar of fury, his cry shattering the still of the night. No one noticed; no one was left to care. Only silence greeted him.

“And for what?!” he demanded at the sky, “So I could wield the power of Shadow? So you could play your pathetic games? I
reject you! I despise you, you who men call gods! You are nothing!”

The young elf rose up from his knees and stared at his hands; bloodied, dirtied, stained. Like his face; like the rest of him. His robes were soiled with the soot and blood of the battle. His fingers closed; like a toothed trap shutting with a sense of finality. He cast his gaze around; against what remained of the wall hung a string of dryads, all lined up and crucified – on their own trees no less. A couple had been impaled, along with the odd druid or ranger. They did not matter; they would be reborn in shadow. No… no what he had to do…
Ainyra.

He closed his eyes, “Any price… even my soul. Give me the power to restore her, and I shall serve you, name you
‘master’. I will be yours, your slave for eternity. My loyalty shall be yours; I shall be sworn to shadow… I ask, nay, beg, that she be spared this fate. Transform me; do as you will. You will have my soul, but my heart is hers.”

His plea was met with silence.

In fury, he wept his heated tears of hate and pain… tears he would weep for the last time. And then the skies opened, drenching the land not in rain, but in lightning. Between the flashes that split the sky in two, that lit up the darkened village, shadows formed. Shadows were reborn from the corpses of the fallen. The faithful were rewarded.

Ainyra rose again, on wings of shadow, in the body of a demoness. The sprite’s soul reborn; imbued with darkness, enhanced with the power of shadow rose again. A succubus stood in place of the small sprite’s body, standing at her master’s side. Inky obsidian eyes met his, regarding him sensually. Her slender ivory hand held his cheek and she murmured, “I would not forsake you, my love.” A small smile cracked at her blackened lips as she lent up and kissed him.

…And the one named ‘Kuan’ was finally at peace.

Kuankreid awoke with a start. Raising a trembling hand to his forehead, he was unsurprised to discover he was drenched in sweat. It had been a dream… just a dream. Ainyra? he called out pensively. His words were not helped by the weakness in his body. Ainyra, where are you?

“I’m right here, you silly elf.” her familiar voice scolded him, as the small sprite flew in view of his face, “What’s wrong?” she asked foregoing their usual quip; indeed her words unusually concerned as she saw his pale face.

“I… just a dream.”

“Is that all?” the spride did not seem convinced, “Well, you look an absolute wreck.” she scolded, “You need to take better care of yourself.”

Landing on his chest, she placed her petite hand on his cheek and added more gently, “I can’t take care of you if you won’t let me. You’re too big and I’m not your mother.” she sighed, “So you need to get better.” Wiping his brow with a small strip of cloth, she leant in and kissed his cheek and gave him a brief hug, “Now go on back to sleep. I’ll keep making my potions and arrows, all right? If you have any more bad dreams, I’m right here. I’ll wake you if anything happens, so just you rest.”

Kuan smiled and nodded, falling back asleep almost immediately.

Fire. Destruction. Burning.

This time, it was
he who was dead.

“Fool” snapped a voice from
somewhere in the darkness; the Void, “You have failed to master the shadow and now not only have you paid the cost, but so have many, many others. Our hopes we entrusted in you; all your hopes, but failed.”

“Where am I? Where’s Ainyra? Who are you?!”

“Lost. Like so many other souls
you failed to protect.” The voice began to fade.

“Wait, I’m not done with you! Come back here!”
“No, it is you we are not done with…” hissed another, second voice. “You are being reborn… arise and serve us, Shadow Mage!”

“No! Never…!”

“Oh, but you
will.” the second voice rasped, “Many have spoken as you… all have failed. Now serve freely, or as a mindless minion. It matters not to us.”

The Dreamer awoke.

Kuan sat bolt upright in bed gasping, desperately trying to grasp his bearings.

“More bad dreams? You were thrashing… I tried to wake you, but you wouldn’t.” Ainyra’s voice held more concern than before, “But your fever’s broken at least.”

The young elf nodded, not willing to trust his voice. Reaching to his side, he hefted his waterskin and took a long draught. “I think… I think I should take a walk.” he mumbled weakly.

“You’re in no condition to walk! Kuan! No!”

“I’m not in any state to sleep, Ain…”

“Fine, but I’m coming too. Men!” she scolded, “You get worse as you get older! There was once a time when you’d listen to me- Kuan! Wait! Come back here! I’m not finished with you yet!”

The little sprite flew out after him; the elf having dressed himself in the short time his familiar was ranting at him. Descending the stairs, a distracted and rather pale Kuan nodded his thanks to the innkeeper, mentioning he would be back (hopefully) before nightfall and set off to wander around the town.

His eye was continually drawn to Oley’s magic shop and without realising it, he had headed there…

[ 03-20-2007, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote