View Single Post
Old 03-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
A few of you have been kinda miffed at the amount of 'spam' or 'posts for a star ranking' (grin), So I just wanted to ask you guys and gals to ease up on these type of posts.

If you do it though, please keep it to this forum

On a lighter note, I was thinking about adding more 'rankings' closer together. (i.e. it takes 200 post to reach one, I may cut that to 50 to reach a new ranking). That way, it'll allow newer users to reach new levels without having to post spam a lot..

Lemme know, I'm not mad at ANYONE, so don't take this post the wrong way!!

Ziroc
Well said, Ziroc - I probably wouldn't have been as tactful

To me, there are 4 kinds of posts, in order
of least to most:

A. Game related (BG, BG2, IWD etc)
B General Discussion (stuff like the Napster or the Taliban stuff, or favorite movie polls - stuff that is certain to inspire discussion)
C. Conversation threads
D. True SPAM (this is junk posts that have no relevance to anything and
stuff people post purely to get their numbers up. This is annoying as people have to wade through all this shit to be able to get to interesting threads and whenever they post something interesting or relevant it gets buried under all this spam.

People need to understand that it's not a numbers game - it's whether or not what you posted added value to people (helped them in the game, made them happy, brought a smile to their face). What you post has to make people want to come back here. This is by far THE BEST forum on the net. I've posted at the BG Dungeon, at Boards o' Magick, at Banshee, at Talon's Place and at TeamBG and this kicks ass over all of those. That's because the stuff here, off topic, on topic or otherwise, is always fresh, interesting, and funny.

Does this sound funny coming from the person who has the most number of posts thus far? My post numbers are high mainly because of A, B and to a lesser extent C type posts. I occasionally engage in spam if I want to talk shit with people but I don't make a habit of spamming just to get my post numbers up. I know my post numbers will get there because I answer that many questions and I enjoy spending time here. Why the rush? I'm a Zhentarim Guard today, yesterday a Drow Warrior, tomorrow maybe a Chosen of Mystra? (hint) But beneath it all I'm Memnoch - the rank doesn't make me better or worse.

The rankings are a cool and innovative idea and will eventually reflect the amount of time people have spent here - but let's not take them too seriously OK?

Re your final point Z - why not call lower ranks something suitably adventurous but doesn't sound too inferior - newbie members could become Fledglings or Fledgling Vampires, Regular Posters could become Spellswords, u know what I mean? Just a thought.

Oh, and sorry Z, I had to delete choc's head to make space for my own smilies!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-06-2001).]