View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

4. I think they're fun, but I can never play them exclusively. The worst part for me (a relative n00b myself) is when I think about the whole setup of the game. Take away plot elements, friendly people, and a sense of 'being there' and you have a game little more complex than Diablo.

I mean...it's basically an increasingly difficult monster heirarchy, as you climb the ranks of the player heirarchy. And at worst, your character can be little more than an archetype, and the other players are behaving as little more than automatons killing monsters to gain level.

I think WoW and EQ2 are the epitome of the best of what the first generation of this style of game can be, but also the end of the first generation. I think they'll start to question the value of levels and classes, 'newbie zones', monster killing to increase level, etc, and make more dynamic games that offer so much more than level advancement to keep you playing.

And of course, like AD&D, that's all some people will want to do with it anyway. That system allows for so much more though. Current MMORPGs (essentially hack and slash) will be around for some time, but it's my hope that more RP-centric mmoRPgs will spring up to take people out of RP servers, MUDs, MUSHs, and endlessly replaying BG2 and Morrowind
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote