View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 08:59 AM   #30
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I noticed how carefully you chose your words, Donut. FWIW, I would agree that "if life meant life", I would be agreeable to it in MORE cases - but there are still some cases where I would NOT agree to it.

Serial killers are a prime example. The only way to guarantee that they do not kill again is to eliminate them permanently. Life imprisonment is not suitable for a couple of reasons. First, these men (and women) have absolutely NO REMORSE for their actions. Making them "think about what they did for the rest of their lives" is pointless because they don't believe they did anything wrong to begin with. Secondly, they become "cult icons". Charles Manson is considered more of a celebrity than a brutal mass murderer. I cannot even imagine how the families of his victims must feel when they see him being interviewed on TV by some reporter wanting to hear "his side of the story". It disgusts me.

The same would hold true for Eric Robert Rudolph. He has some very extreme views and also shows no remorse for his actions. So there is no reason to believe he would not plant more bombs if he ever got out of prison for whatever reason. The only way to ensure he never harms another innocent person is the death penalty.

As for the nurse I mentioned above, her case is different. Her negligence and callousness is unforgivable, but she does seem to realize how terribly wrong her actions were...so it would be fitting to basically "take her life away" and force her to think about what she did for the rest of her natural life.

OH...and as far as money is concerned, Life Imprisonment is cheaper by far than the Death Penalty (due to the numerous appeals and other legal obstacles that must be overcome).