View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 04:21 AM   #24
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
I disagree. The Bible admonishes individuals not to kill, but does grant governments the right to take a life as punishment for a crime.
Wether or not the bible condones capital punishment is a matter of personal opinion and interpretation, in my opinion.

I wonder...Is goverment not made up of individuals? If twelve individual jurors or one individual judge sentence an innocent person to death, are they not guilty of wrongfully taking a life? I can hardly imagine how my conscience would feel in that circumstance.

I find it hard to imagine an angel of judgement at the end of life saying "It's okay you wrongfully convicted that guy and sent him to the gas chamber, you were a member of a jury, part of goverment...here is a pass."

I find the phrase "Thou shall not kill" to be very specific and not open to exception in its context. That is, of course, my interpretation of the "moral of the story".

It is circumstances like these that really reinforce my belief in reincarnation. If, at least, to give souls with good intentions a fair chance.

This seems like a case of "The best intentions lead you know where..." if you ask me. But like you said Cerek, you, me, and Ghandi are all entitled to their own opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]