View Single Post
Old 04-21-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Woodward on Larry King Live admitted that there was no secret deal between Bush and the Saudi's to get oil prices down to influence the election. He said there was nothing covert or unusual about a request from the Bush administration for help in lowering the price of oil. He backed off 60 Minutes' stance quite a bit when asked specific questions regarding the supposed impropriety. He admitted it's a long standing practice for the Saudi's to help the US keep the oil prices down, and so not unusual that Bush requested they help lower the price. He's asked before, and he'll ask again.

***In fact, I believe that while campaigning Kerry has said that as president he would ask the Saudi's to help lower and stabilize the price.

The Saudi representative said that they always try to keep the price of oil between $23-30 per barrel. They also pointed out that they have had requests from many presidents to help keep the price down over the years since the oil embargo including Clinton in 2000 and Carter in 1979. Now I'm sure Reagan and I KNOW Bush '41 did the same, but I mention the Democratic presidents because those were the ones specifically named on LKL by the guest.

The Saudi's admit they try to help stabilize the US economy because a strong US economy is good for everyone. High prices might seem great on the surface, but they don't want to kill the golden goose's economy.

They also claim they would never attempt to use oil politically to motivate a US election which is complete and utter BS of course, but the bottom line is Woodward admitted there was no covert deal regarding the election despite what was played up on 60 Minutes.

And let's be honest, of all the incumbents from the last 30 years, Bush '43 is probably the one they'd least like to see re-elected. He's too much trouble.

[ 04-21-2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]