View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #30
SecretMaster
Apophis

Default Re: Double dip Recession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
This "Green Revolution" term as it is defined seems a misnomer to me.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but I think I can maybe explain.

The Green Revolution is often referred to as the huge "advancements" of the 1940's-1970's in agricultural productivity. This huge burst in agricultural productivity (higher and higher yields, cheaper food to produce, etc) is attributed to the application of synthetic fertilizers, pesticide usage, more mechanized use of machinery, irrigation practices, etc.

The downside of all this great "advancement" is that it really is depleting our soils at a phenomenal rate. A lot of people think "oh, its just dirt", but soils play a tremendously crucial role for our success as species. We cannot afford to deplete our soils, and we are doing just that. It really is something overlooked/unheard of by the general populace.

So what George Mobus is suggesting is a CCC equivalent dedicated to restoring our soils for productive agricultural use. Modern day agriculture is extremey energy intensive in all aspects, and as energy continues to rise in price (his assumption) it's going to spell disaster for the giant agricultural machine.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote