View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 03:01 AM   #36
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis the sage:
quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by a person who doesn't want gun laws that protect society as a whole, let alone pesky music laws that protect the musics creators (do we see a trend here?):
I don't mind the artists wanting to make a profit, You all know I am a dedicated capitalist [img]smile.gif[/img] , what I do mind is them restricting my own use of a product that I have bought. I should be able to make my own mixes with music that I have paid for.

That should entitle me to fair use.

AND I should be able to use it on any device, not just specific makes and models. I do know that if the copy protection gets to be too big a pain in the ass, Ill just quit buying it.
I agree to fair use, but it has to be a two way street.
I should be able to leave my car unlocked like you used to be able to.
I should be able to carry my Leatherman on my person outside.
I should have been able to watch video tapes I bought forever and not have them deteriorate.
I should be able to cut down a tree on my own property if I need too.

Laws are brought in because many people are too selfish to see the consequences of their actions in effect on those around them.

As society and technology changes, we too must change and adapt - protecting the average and innocent citizen as best we can.

If the trade off for instant, no-loss, music is a period of time where certain uses are restricted, how bad is that compared to the alternatives?
You want your cake and want to eat it too, but don't want others to have the same fair go.

Compromise on both sides in necessary, and IMHO, steps need to be taken to allow purchase and fair use while remaining copyrighted...tough call but surely it can be done?
This is a good post Leonis. Well said.

If I could add to it.

Magik, recorded music is a modern miracle. For millenia, if you wanted to hear an artists work, you would have had to seek them out and hear them. Their work could not be 'captured' for you to do with as you pleased.

Bear in mind, when you buy a CD, you buy the hardware - that particular CD. You may listen to the CD, but you do not buy the song. You may not reproduce and sell the song. You may not rerecord the song yourself and sell it without paying royalties. You may not take part of it and incorporate it into a new recording without permission or license. You may not use the song to generate income for yourself via advertising, playing it in your shop or any other means of enhancing your business, without paying an applicable relative license fee.

You own the right to use the product for personal listening enjoyment.

You do not own the song to do whatever you see fit with it.

[ 11-12-2002, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com