View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's not necessarily the luck of the draw with a kitty, either. [img]smile.gif[/img] One thing you can do is be sure the cat is alert and notices you as you come up to the cage. If it is climbing the cage and crying and reaching out at you it is likely a more agressive purrrsonality or one that is likely to prefer being an only cat (though most get on fine with a dog). My first cat was like this and he was a joy to have but he did NOT get along with other cats and I had to keep him separate from them most of the time. This kind of kitty often does best in a single cat or cat/dog home where the people have plenty of time to pet/pay attention to him. If you want a feisty kitty, be sure you don't have a super agressive/alpha type puppy.

If the kitten/cat stays far back in the cage or is trying to hide it may be sick or a very skittish kitty who isn't likely to want a busy or noisy household nor, perhaps a very hyper puppy for a playmate, but would love a nice quiet home with one or two adults.

If he/she is neither way back nor climbing the front of the cage but is bright eyed, curious and alert and watching what you do, you may find that one to be middle of the road type. My current kitties are middle of the road types but one was scared as a kitten (while being boarded) and she's now wary of strangers but most loving and sweet with her people.

I've never had a dog and cat combo but several relatives have done so over the years and very successfully. Starting them out as kitten/puppy is a good idea. [img]smile.gif[/img] Be sure the kitten has places to go that the puppy can't reach (such as a tall scratching post/kitty furniture) in case she/he is feeling like a nap away from the pup.

I hope you find your perfect pair, Variol!

edit: Lady Sedai, I have to say that the description of longhaired cats you gave is far FAR from my experience! Not all long hairs will be 'diva's...well and also I've known a few ornery black and whites and tabbies! LOL For the most part, I've found the orange and black/grey tabbies to be fairly easy going but as they are not 'purebred' they have different genetic/personality makeups just like most people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

As for long hairs... according to my vet they do tend to be more mellow than short hair domestics and I did find that to be the case with my Shu kitty. But he was far from a 'diva'! LOL He was the sweetest, most adorable kitty you could imagine and even though the other cats picked on him (I had my aggressive kitty at the time) he was always wonderful and sweet with me and he never 'demanded attention', but often sat nearby when I was in the living room or kitchen and only very late in life did he become a 'lapcat'. [img]smile.gif[/img] But I loved it!

[ 12-21-2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]