View Single Post
Old 05-17-2001, 12:58 PM   #123
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
I remember at uni several American students being very anti British, an on several occasions telling us how evil are colonial past was. Ironically without which there would be no America . However my general observation is that no country ever teaches in children about the mistakes of its country, e.g. Japanese children don't get taught about Japanese atrocities in WW2, British schools don't teach about the British war crimes against Boer civillians, and there are other examples I can think of for many countries.

Can anybody out there dispute this observation?

Firstly, there would be an America, it would just be filled with Amerindians and Amerindian culture; or perhaps the Spanish would have grabbed it.

Secondly, in Australia, some textbooks now use the word invasion instead of colonisation. At school I was educated on the terrible mistakes the Australians made in earlier history (white Australia policy, the "stolen generation" of Aboriginals, the wiping out of the Tasmanian Aboriginie etc etc. I think most of us are aware of it, which creates it's own impact on the collective psychology.

To my knowledge and from those I know, the Deutsch have a similar education and response to their own past darkness.

It's the only way to move forward. However I think it's also important TO move forward, and not get enveloped in shame and self loathing. Pretty much very race has kicked butt against someone at some point. (I'm sure there is bound to be an exeption).

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!