View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
Rhea
Drow Warrior

I try to select major and minor skills that not only fit my character, but also cover the range of stats (and all three areas - combat, magic and stealth).

To raise your stats quickly, make sure you train in skills associated with the attribute you want to raise BEFORE you train in your major/minor skills. That way, when you go to level up, you'll have several stats with multipliers available.

For instance, let's say I'm in Seyda Neen, the first town. I'm woefully low in strength. Even though Acrobatics isn't one of my major or minor skills, I'll train in Acrobatics to raise my Strength. I'll train in Short Blade (not one of my major or minor) to get the Speed multipliers. THEN I'll go train in Long Blade and Medium Armor (major/minor skills that will get me the "rest and meditate" message), which will cause me to level up, and I'll have available multiplers in :

--Strength: Acrobatics and Long Blade
--Endurance:Medium Armor
--Speed: Short Blade

If you consistantely do this, you'll be able to raise your stats 2-5 points at a time instead of one. You'd be amazed how quickly your attributes go up.

Another point: There is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE to continuing to train after you get the "rest and meditate" message. Run, do not walk, to a place where you can rest and level up. Then head back and train some more. If you keep training beyond where you get the level up message, you can sleep several times in a row and go up more than one level, but you'll lose your chance to get those all-important multipliers more than once.

I could skip training in Short Blade if I'm going to be using long blades, but I may want to use a short blade at some point, for it's a twofor: I get skill in short blade and I kick up my speed. I could just as easily have chose some other speed-governed skill.

After I had been playing for a while, it really began to make sense to me to make the most of multipliers to increase my stats, and it quickly becomes second nature.

[ 01-17-2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Rhea ]
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote