View Single Post
Old 11-10-2000, 01:11 AM   #13
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

The sun was just starting to set in the evening sky as a lone human walked along the forest surrounding the village of the dwarves. Alone and on foot, the weary traveller paused for a moment to look at his surroundings. Taking in a deep breath, he walked on with confidence, into adventure, mystery, and hopefully to the fabled blade of the Mavin.

The words of my village elder still rung in my ears from the night the Skeletal Warriors attacked my peaceful village of swordsmiths. The undead attacked without warning, their piercing wails striking fear into the hearts of my townsfolk. My father led the attack with my brothers and I at his side, yet the battle went badly for us. By the time the last skeleton fell to the ground, the earth was painted red with the blood of my kinsman. Among them, my father and 2 older brothers had fallen along with many of my close friends and relatives.

Those few who survived had stayed to help rebuild the town, but the elder had called me for an important mission.

"Scronan, your rapier wit is only exceeded by the sharpness of the sword you carry. The minions of evil are upon this land, and you are the most powerful Warrior in this village. Go you now to the town of Valeia, where the heros of land are now journeying to aid in this battle. Take this small pouch of gold, and make haste."

My heart pounded with a fierce beat as I remembered my oath to out elder to aid in the defeat of the Lord of Evil. As I approached the village of the Dwarves, my feet feet like lead weights from my many days of travel. Here I would stop and rest for the night, as the village of Valeia was still another few days journy on foot.

I spotted a local pub where the tinkle of glasses and the roaring of drunken clansmen could be heard. I knew the dwarves were a tough lot and never to be taken for granted, but being along in their village still left me on edge. But they were also known to be honest and loyal, and luckily for me, on good terms with us humans.

The scents of stale brew and body odour filled my nostrils as I entered the pub and sat at an empty table. A buxom lass brought me a frothing glass of Dwarven ale and winked as I gave her a shiny gold piece. I knew from her glance that a few more pieces of gold would allow me to have much for than a glass of ale. Despite the beauty of this lusty woman, I knew I was here on business, and I'd have plenty of time for wenching later.

My eyes and head suddenly turned to a ruckus in a shadowy part of the pub were I saw a Dwarven woman arm wrestling a male. The male grunted and swore as his arm slowly lowered to the table, then with a wild yell his arm was slammed into the table with such force that their mugs of ale splattered brew on the faces of the cheering crowd.

Few things in my life impressed me, but this dwarven lass was a sight to see. Her long locks of blond hair fell well past her back, gently hanging over her shoulders which bulged with muscles. Despite her looking no more than 5 feet tall, her sturdy frame must have weighed close to my own weight. Even though she looked strong enough to fight better than most men, there was still a feminine side to her, a rough beauty of sorts. Her friends slapped her on the back and one of them whispered in her ear, and her eyes immediately shot in my direction, locking her gaze onto my now smiling face. I raised my mug to her, and nodded at her with a quick wink.

Those eyes, it was if I were staring a wild tiger in the face, they missed nothing, studied me from head to toe. There was more than brute strength to this lass, she had wit and wisdom to match. Without a word she rose from her chair, never once taking those piercing blue eyes from my own. She walked over to my table, ready to pounce without warning, and I suddenly felt like a Ratling caught in a jungle cats den.

Her voice was a litte rough, and despite her facing me off, I could almost catch a glint of humour behind it.

"What have we here? A human male, all alone and by himself. You're a stranger here my friend, and you'd be wise not to be making eyes at us Dwarven women."

"You see," she said, gently stroking one of my arms, "us dwarves are much too strong for you humans. You're strong and handsome for a human, but I'd break you in two before you could ever satisfy me!"

She laughed a hearty laugh as her fellow Dwaves raised their mugs and shouted a cheer in their strange tongue. I saw some laughter behind her eyes now, but she was still serious and unsure of my intentions.

"My name is Scronan, Warrior of the northern lands. I seek the village of Valeia, for I hear the evil of Lord Cet is upon this land. I'm searching for brave wizards and warriors to join me in my crusade to find the Mavin sword."

At the mention of the Lord of Evil, the dwarf lass's eyes bulged and she looked at me with new found interest. Sitting down next to me, she gulped down the last of her ale and held out a thick hand.

"My name is Ishiaus."

We shook hands, and I matched her fierce grip as she managed a firm smile at me.

"It is a pleasure to meet you." I said.

"Well met Scronan. Now, let us talk more about this crusade of yours."

To be continued....