Thread: Do You Tip?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #32
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I agree with aleph_null. When I waitressed, you got paid $2.00/hour, which was below minimum wage then, and far below it now, because you were expected to make it up through tips. So I definitely tip when dining out, unless service is abominable, when I'll leave a small tip (5% or less)and a note explaining why.

The rules on tipping hairdressers seem to vary by area. In this area of Virginia, it's supposedly the thing to do, but you never actually see anyone (except me) do it. In NJ, my haircuts were a great deal more expensive (as was the tip), and I was shocked one time to find out that I was also supposed to tip the girl who shampooed my hair prior to the haircut. After that, I said "no shampoo" and just let the hairdresser wet my hair down with a spray bottle (easy with short hair). More detail than you may want to know about.

I know quite a few people in the US spend teenage and college years in low-paying jobs in the service industry (ie, waiting tables). Anybody want to speak on behalf of the taxi drivers or other oft-tipped people?