Thread: GREECE WON!
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
I didn't think much of Greece prior to seeing their semifinal vs Czech Republic, but after seeing how well organized they are, how well they work together as a team, and how unbelievably secure they seem in their game, I have to say they truly deserved to win this championship.

Football certainly didn't lose anything, why in the world would you say something like that? Compared to the hapless Portuguese team with half a dozen super stars who accomplished absolutely zip, watching Greece playing their own game to such perfection was pure enjoyment, I seriously doubt any other team even came close to the consistently high quality and flow of Greece's passing game in this tournament for instance.

Sure Portugal had the completely irrelevant advantage in possession, but they produced very little dangerous in the way of offense, and the few chances they did produce weren't exactly stunning displays of great footballing. The Greek offense was far more appealing, I mean, christ, the passing game just outside the Portuguese penalty area that led up to their first good chance, in the 33rd minute I think, was simply stunning.

In my book, Greece deserved this championship title 10 times more than all the top nations like France, England, Spain, Italy and Holland, that completely failed to live up to their expectations. Not even Czech Republic looked that good when put against the most well oiled team machine of the tournament.
Why would i say something like that ? Well, let's see.... perhaps because they hang around their own goalkeeper roughly 85 minutes per game, and every time managed to score a goal on one lucky break ? Because they were the most boring team in this tournament ? They obviously feel good in the role of underdog, because then they can let the opponent make all the plays, they were lucky against Spain, France and the Czech republic, all three matches they deserved to lose, but luck, and only luck, decided otherwise. Doesn't it strike you as odd that they lost the one and only game in which they were actually favourites to win ? It's because they cannot take control of a game, they don't have the talent for it. They do however have a well organised defense, but unfortunately not many people respect defensive football. That's why football lost.