Thread: More LotR
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
Dang
The Magister

I did a LoTR a while back. I consider it a LoTR movie party, as it was based on what the characters were like in the movies, whether or not that was the same as the books (which I haven't read in some time).

Gimli. Dwarf Fighter, Burly Scottish voice. Switched between dual axes and one two-handed axe. I think he ended up with the Ripper.

Boromir. Human Fighter. Chaotic or Aggresive voice, the one that says, "What do ya want? If it moves...I can change that." Since he was slighted whacked in the head. Started out using sword and shield like in the movie, but after a trip to the depths of Mt Gigas he got the Sword of 4 Winds, my favorite Sword from Wiz 7 (I didn't say the best, just my favorite). He had Demonsting and Dragon Kite as back up weapons. And he "did the deed" with Al-Sedexus.

Aragorn. Human Lord. The "By my honor" voice. I can't remember what weapons he used, but I'm sure it was some sword plus Diamond Eyes. The way he was portrayed in the movies was a lot more Lord than Ranger, afa W8 classes are concerned. He did show some healing and undead commanding abilities too.

Legolas. Elf Ranger. Laidback voice that talks about making the muddied waters clear. Used whatever the best bow available was, and I think backed up by a sword/wand or sword/dagger combo which he hardly ever used.

Frodo. Hobbit Rogue. Eccentric voice that has a theory about something unseen in all things seen. Maybe not the most appropriate but it was amusing. Mainly used dual thieves daggers.

Gandalf. Mook Monk/Bishop/Samurai. Intellectual voice that boasts about his superior intellect. Someone else on this or the VN board pointed out that G wasn't human, he was an Istari(?) that could reasonably be represented by a Mook. I also didn't want him to start off as a wimpy bishop, and eventually wanted him to be able to use swords like he did in the movies and books. I did about 5 levels of Monk concentrating on the Stealth (so he'd be better of than a wimpy bishop), Staff (no martial arts), and crit, then on some psionic spells (he was represented as doing a lot of mind control and mind healing in the movies). Then he became a bishop and branched out into divinity and a little bit of wizardry (hey, he does say he is the keeper of the sacred flame.) Finally, after about 10 levels of bishopry, he became a samurai. He used staff of doom, giant's sword, and finally bushido blade and wand of frost.

This incarnation lasted longer than the first 2 (the first were killed when I tried to take them into the Mtn wilds to soon. I thought I could outrun the monster but the firebreathers do too much dmg and you CAN'T OUTRUN FAERIES and there are ALWAYS fairies on the Mtn Trail when you try to go back up. Ahem. The 2nd danced on the bar at Heli's, fell behind the bar, and couldn't get out without attacking Heli--#$*& unforgiving IronMan.), but I think switching Gandalf to a Samurai was what did them in since it dampened his spell-casting ab ilities. I knew it probably wouldn't work but I wanted to try anyway. They were killed on Ascension Peak by the Rapax Princes' horde, with assistance from 3 of those uber-elementals, Tempest, Tsunami, whatever. I actually thought that more of those appeared due to something I did, but I think now they were just a random encounter that appear as the same time as the Prince.

I used to back up all my games due to the bug that can cause you to delete when you're trying to save, so I still have a save of them about to go into the Wilderness Chapel/Temple. It's fun to review them but I don't think I'll go back and complete the game. I have to say though that it is the most fun game I have that ended in tragedy!
Dang is offline   Reply With Quote