View Single Post
Old 10-01-2001, 04:20 AM   #1
boowinstheday
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry to trouble everyone... the only reason why I'm asking this question is that it's been plaguing me for as long as nineteen years, and I think it's about time I tried to find some answers.

Anyway, to get to the point: Christianity speaks of how one will go to Heaven/Hell depending on how one lives presently, while Hinduism and Buddhism touch on karma and how it will affect one's next life. So is it a given that there is definitely life after death? (I know of some people who absolutely disbelieve this and are quite happy to just "vanish into nothingness" when their time is up.)

I'm pretty troubled by two issues, really:

1) If there is life after death, whether it will be eternal (ie, round after round of reincarnation or an endless life in Heaven/Hell/Purgatory)? If not, this just leads to a slightly longer period before point 2).

2) If there isn't life after death, I'm not sure if I can accept just disappearing into thin air after a short spell here

Some of you may want to tick me off for not finding a religion which may answer my question. The truth is, I daren't. Because my parents are happy being free thinkers and I don't want to end up at a different place from where they will be after they've gone (that's assuming there is indeed life after death). This is especially true of Christianity, I believe - they claim that non-believers will go to Hell/Purgatory.

From what I've seen at this forum, the people here are very helpful and well-informed. I do hope that you will be indulgent just this once and share with me what you know of this subject.

Thanks!
----------------------------
A rather distressed hamster