View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 09:25 PM   #38
trux

Whoa, a lot has gone on since I left. Had to go mow the lawn - ugh!

Well, I just wrote out a very long and indepth response to all that's been said, responding point by point, but I forgot to type in my username and password, and when I went back in my browser it was all gone. I can't remember everything I said. But here goes.

I agree with everything that everyone has said except your one example Yorick...

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Look at it like this. If a loopy nut decides to imitate the film, picture it like a luny standing on a wall smashing a window with a bat. Various people made the bricks, others put them together to build the wall, and others gave him the bat, while others told him the windowl was responsible for his loopyness. So he goes, climbs the wall and smashes the window with the bat. Without the bricks, bat or suggestion the event could not have occured, so all are to "blame". The loopy nut still, of his own volition decides to grab the bat, listen and obey the suggestion, climb the wall and smash the window. Four actions of his own volition. Of course he is responsible, but is SUPPORTED and AIDED by many others.
It's thinking like this that allows people who commit crimes to get away with making wild assertions that "the music" made them do it. The man who made the brick you speak of, the contractor who erected the walls with the bricks, they have nothing to do with someone's PERSONAL decision to smash a window. In my opinion it's ridiculous to think otherwise. I understand your point that everyone needs to know their place in the grand scheme of things, but don't you think it's a little out of line to "blame" someone for doing their job?

John Hinkley, Jr. saw Taxi Driver and attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan because he thought Jodi Foster wanted him to do it. Could you tell me with a straight face that Martin Scorscese or Robert DeNiro are even the slightest bit responsible for Hinkley's decision to shoot Reagan? Hinkley shot Reagan because he had a screw loose, because he could not tell right from wrong, because he could not assertain the difference between fiction and reality. This is not the director's fault or the actor's fault, it's not Reagan's fault or the gun-manufacturer's fault, it's not society's fault and it's not the guy who printed the movie to film's fault - it's Hinkley's fault. It was his decision, his action, his violence.

P.S.

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelofDeath:
uhhh, last time I checked, pot is illegal.

Originally posted by AzureWolf:
It IS?!?! Why did noone tell me?
They told me, I just don't listen.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux