View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
Darkon Blackblood
The Magister

This will sound crazy at first but hear me out.
First some basic rules for this combo

1. Darts have a RoF (Rate of Fire) of 3 per round which because a round is 6 seconds long that is 1 dart every 2 seconds.

2. Darts roll a 1d3 die when determining damage, which means that they average 2 damage per hit.

3. According to the new rules pretaining to archers after level 18 that they receieve +1 to hit and damage, at level 34 (the max ranger level), an archer should have +9 to hit and damage.

4. At the level of Grand Master a character gains +3 to damage.

The Reasoning
An Archer of the 34th level who is grandmastered in dart on an average attack, with an unenchanted dart, will deal 14 damage. At this rate the archer deals, on average, 42 damage per round. Now, if the archer were to use his called shot ability, that would add and extra 6 damage per round taking it up to 48. But, called shot lasts for ten seconds, which adds and extra 2/3's of a round or, on average, adds 32 damage for a total of 80 damage every 10 seconds.
That is assuming you used a normal unenchanted dart.
When I tested this I used the Crimson Dart +3, which adds a +3 damage (I think) and returns to the thrower's hand. This, over the course of 10 seconds, in which you could through five darts, adds 15 damage (3x5) for a total of 95 damage in 10 seconds.
This is assuming that your THAC0 is good enough (which it should be) to hit things, and you rolled a 2 on your 1d3 five straight times, (or had it average out to 2, which is most likely), and you got no critical hits or misses.

Now for an example you (being the luckiest person ever) rolled a 3 every time, and got 5 strait critical hits, this would be the damage total.

3(from damage roll) + 9(for being a 34th level archer) + 3(for being a dart grand master) + 2(for called shot) + 3(for the Crimson Dart +3) x 2 (for a critical hit) x 5(for the amount of darts thrown in the called shot period) = 200 in 10 seconds.

My math might be off, but i think that a dart wielding archer might be a great character