View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Default Re: For any military folk...

Ok, I should clarify.

The basic story is this:

A few months ago my sister in-law started talking to a guy who said he was in the US army (we are in Canada). He sweet-talked her and started an online romance with her. He eventually asked for her help in "transferring" a large amount of money. I supposedly got stuck at the border and she had to send money to a lawyer friend of his to get it across the border. (Yeah I know this sounds crazy, but she was "in love" with him and didn't tell any of this to family members who could have said "hello? Wake up.")

Eventually (after losing money to him) she realised it was a scam and cut ties.

Now comes this other guy, again a "Major in the US Army". As noted, he had horrible spelling, etc. He refers to himself as a soldier, but any officer I have ever known calls himself an officer, not a soldier.

Anyhow, they have started a new romance and we are just waiting for the other shoe to drop, because we all feel it has to be a scam and that he must be an associate of the first guy. They probably figured she fell for it once, so they can get her again.

His use of English is rather poor and he introduces himself in an odd way, using a family name as first name. Imagine someone introducing himself as Doe John and signing off on emails as Doe. He'd be Mr John, first name Doe. It just sounds wrong.

Anyhow, I just want to be able to show her proof that this guy is scamming her. She is taking his side over family and looking for ways to prove us wrong. I had done a quick search of his name, finding a match, but he died years ago, so I suspect the guy is using a stolen name.

I had seen a site that lets you inquire about whether someone is really activev in the military, but can no longer locate it.

And that's where we are now.