View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
Detah
Dungeon Master

More than you asked for.

Climbing up ladders is simple. Stand in front and walk straight into them. I found that you do not need to change your viewing direction up/down. Just walk forward. But do so slowly because you may overshoot your destination height and walk off the ladder and take fall damage as you plummet to the destination floor.

Climbing down is much more complicated and timeconsuming if you really want to avoid that fall damage. Here is one method I found.
Stand at the top of the ladder. Turn your back to it. Look straight up with a tiny bit of forward angle. Slowly move backwards until you are right over the edge of the ladder. Now move your view angle straight up. Walk backwards and you will move down the ladder.

This heartwrenching method is further complicated when the ladder is on a wall (like the one at Enku), hence no way to stand in front of the ladder. But my method can still be accomplished by standing next to the ladder and repeating the instructions but approaching from as close to the front/side of the ladder as possible.

But like everyone has said, the drop/splat method is the fastest and easiest. I have only encountered 1 ladder where there is a stock monster at the bottom and therefore you cannot spend some time to heal up those fall damage points. That 1 location is the basement of the windmill, where I found a spider.

Such a long post for so little info. I figure if Im going to jump off someplace, I may as well have fun, so I paratroop off everything, running start and everything. hehe.

Oh. Regarding jumping. I have never seen it mentioned, so I will add it here. To maximize jumping distance (straight up, that is), look straight up, or straight up with a tiny forward angle. I was able to access the secret rooms of the Serpent Temple with this method using only the opened chest and 2 broken small barrels, with all 3 items staggered on top of each other, of course.

Detah

Dead I am the rat,
Feast upon the cat.
Tender is the furr,
Dying as you purr.
Detah is offline   Reply With Quote