View Single Post
Old 01-14-2001, 04:33 AM   #33
Armisael

(sigh)
Alright, I've pissed a few people off so far, but I'm determined to clarify this. I'm not talking about numbers. I'm not saying elves or dwarves or gnomes would declare war on humans just because they're inferior to them. I'm talking about logic, and I'm saying that in a competitive world where there are already several other races - stronger, better adapted races with natural resistances to the chaotic effects of magic, the ability to see in the dark, greater strength, higher intelligence and a better natural agility, how and why would another, far weaker race come into being, then proceed to erect cities and nations all over the place? How do their heroes even get recognised? I'm sitting here reading my old 2nd ed manual, and here's a quote:

"If the only special advantage humans get is given to all the races, who will want to play a human? Humans would be the weakest race in your world. If none of the player characters are human, it is probably safe to assume that no non-player characters of any importance are human either. The world would have no human kingdoms, or human kings, emperors, or powerful wizards. It would be run by elves, dwarves and gnomes."

The book then goes on to explain that this would result in an entirely different world, a world completely alien to humans, and since in reality we are all human (or so I'd hope), creating the simplest of campaigns would be nigh impossible for all but the most imaginative of dungeon masters. If you want to talk about culture, think about this: paladinhood is supposed to be a uniquely human perspective. Would a dwarf see the point of a holy crusade? Would a gnome?

"If humans are weak, will the other races treat them with contempt? With pity? Will humans be enslaved?"
"In addition to free class choice, humans can attain any level in any class. Once again, this is a human special ability. In the AD&D game, humans are more motivated by ambition and the desire for power than the demihuman races are. Thus, humans advance further and more quickly."
Makes perfect sense to me; don't know why TSR decided to withdraw it.

That's it. If you stll think I'm being opinionated or number-driven, fine, but just remember that the reason I don't like 3rd ed rules is because I've actually read the 2nd ed rulebook.