View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #20
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Has this happened in the last day or so? I had webtrends demo running (a stats program) and it sucks RAM, so that could be it. I removed it a day ago though.

The server is tweaked to perfection, so the only thing it could be is one of the following:

1. You ISP is having DNS problems. Change your DNS to someone elses, like Earthlink or whatever. To find their DNS numbers, click on their websites 'support' or 'setup' links, and they should be there. OR do a whois sometimes shows them.

2. Spyware maybe? Grab www.adware.com it's free. And try again.

3. A server between IW server and you may be slow. As others said, do a tracert, and copy and paste it here. (visualroute is better though, as it prints out a JPG screenshot with more info.)

4. It's Christmas break, and lot's of schools are out for the holidays, this means more traffic to the website, and we only have so much bandwidth and server resources. (BUT, I am thinking of upgrading the ram again, and this can help out a lot. we have 512 now, and it got fried, and was replaced, but I think bumping it up to 1GB, it'll help the servers resources from running out as quick. If I had my way/money [img]smile.gif[/img] , I'd drop 2GB into the server. [img]smile.gif[/img]

5. It could be that adding the Undermountain NWN Server is also adding to the bandwidth issue, so I may try lowering the amount of total users to the game. It's at 24 now, I will drop it to 12 and see if that does anything.

6. Does this happen in other forums besides General Conversation? See, I am about to archive half of Gen Con because of it's size, and when forums get HUGE anounts of posts, it makes the database huge, and when you click to post, and submit, it has to open that database to insert your posts information, and since the forum is SO large, it takes time, and then you get a CGI TIMEOUT. This is probably the reason it's doing this. I TRIED to archive it twice, but it timed out when I freaking tried to MOVE them, so I am going to do it manually, and it'll take some time. I have it set to do the day after Christmas, and this WILL make submitting posts on gen con 89% faster--as fast as posting to the NWN forum, or any other smaller forum. Let me know the 27th!

Do the above, and post your tracert results. If we see a server that is causing this, I will contact our fiber provider and kill them (first, I will make them fix it, THEN kill them. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] jk.

But I personally think it's a bandwidth issue, and the holidays are adding MEGA traffic--we've been getting 700,000 hits a DAY guys... (Hits mean 1 user can hit 10 pages here and be counted as 10 hits)-- Unique impressions is hitting 7,000, which is crazy busy for one webforum!! yikes!

To those that have this problem, hang in there, this will be fixed soon, whatever it is!

[ 12-22-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album