View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #102
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I have no idea why the people in Enron would have invested so heavily in their own companies stock...unless it was greed and they thought they could pull off an AOL like profit...

As for the college discussion...I never went to college. I left highschool after graduation (grade 12) and since I had no money and a father determined that I would make it on my own at all costs,
Couple of things, Mag.. On the Enron front, from what I've read, I understand that the company themselves were very keen on employees investing in their stock, and gave incentives for them to do so. Anyone know more?

You said something there that rang a bell for me 'a father determined that I would make it on my own at all costs'. Yes, exactly. That's such an important factor! I find that everyone who has done the pulling themselves up by own bootstraps thing has had some kind of key motivating influence at an early age (or later stage). In my case, it was my grandmother, who opened up the world to me, and taught me I could do anything I wanted. Some people don't have a family member, but met someone along the way who acts as a mentor. Sometimes it's a teacher, sometimes just an amazing person who comes into their life, and who maybe acts as role model, advisor or whatever. It's really hard to come from nothing, a very bad environment, and to go to school with peers from the same place, (peer pressure to be in a certain way) and then somehow turn that into gold, both financially and on a personal level with no help. Some schools are great, and really help kids. Some really dont, or can't, because the environments the kids come from are just too horrendous, and there is little that can be done in the school situation.

Growth needs nurturing, and some people just don't get that. Right enough, you can nurture some people all you want, and they still don't really take root and blossom, for whatever reasons, but just because it doesn't work with everyone, I don't feel that's a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

State help, to my mind, evens out the playing field, and opens up opportunity to more people. If some don't choose to take advantage, well, that's there look out. It doesn't mean the system is crap though.

[ 07-02-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Silver Cheetah ]