View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

These days, the use of the comma has diminished. Less is expected of it these days. It used to be used heavier, but now it seems that its use depends on the education of the user, whether he learned the old-school way or the new-school way. Get it?

Okay, as you can see, I can use commas this way, just as I am typing to give a little emphasis to the next phrase of my sentence. I will repeat what I just said, using the new comma rule:

Okay, as you can see I can use commas this way just as I am typing to give a little emphassis to the next phrase of my sentence.

See the difference? Both ways are acceptable in college grammer. Mostly, it will depend on the teacher grading the paper on whether she will count it right or wrong. You have to learn the quirks of the teacher and then please her, otherwise commas can be used really anywhere that they seem right. Or you can leave them out. For example, I could have used a comma right there instead of the period after the word "right", to have said:

You have to learn the quirks of the teacher and then please her, otherwise commas can be used anywhere that they seem right, or you can leave them out.

Commas are used also to make run-on sentences work more appropriately.

As for the colon mark, you are to place it with no space after the word that precedes it, then space once afterward, like this: See?

I hope this was not too long-winded.