View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Default In terms of internet..

Okay, so I'm not sure how many people are aware of the current debate in Australia about the National Broadband Network, or how many people are particularly interested, but I just wanted to get some opinions from people who most likely know a LOT more about the technical side of it than I do.

The Liberal party's NBN plan is Fibre to the Node, which will keep the existing copper wires that give us our ridiculously slow internet speed. From what I understand, thanks to a little bit of research and Sparhawk, in the TES post, if you're close to one of the hubs your speed should be faster. Unfortunately, what seems to have happened in Australia is that the wires are deteriorating underground, and I know that Telstra (the main internet and phone provider, basically has a monopoly, and they own all the hubs and wires) is thinking about replacing the wires because they cost too much to upkeep. If it goes ahead, it will most likely be paid for by taxpayers. In that case, would it not make sense to simply put Fibre to the Home, as was Labor's plan, rather than continuing to use and replace copper wires and implementing FTTN when it won't actually make it faster due to the distance of people from the hub not changing?

Currently there is a petition people are signing to get FTTH, which has over a quarter of a million signatures. The government is not currently listening. I'm not putting this forward from the perspective of a gamer. I think that faster internet speeds are important for a wide variety of reasons, not just gaming, such as research and communication.
Here's a link to the Liberal policy.
http://www.liberal.org.au/fast-affor...lan-better-nbn

Am I and over 250,000 other Australians getting this completely wrong? Just wanted some confirmation either way. Sorry for the long post.
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote