View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #179
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

"Hear ye! Hear ye!" Clear and loud was the call of the Captain of the Guards as he gazed upon the gathering below the tower. Worried faces they wore, half wondering whether they were happy to answer the sharp bugle bursts that had interrupted the humdrum of city life that morning. Mothers held their children's hands tightly, eager lads looked up with shining eyes, cryptic merchants "harrumphed" amongst themselves, old men shook their heads and sighed, young maidens darted daring glances at eligible young men... it seemed as if all of Alesbridge had turned up to hear Lord Mehlingard's orders.

They were to be sorely disappointed.

"His Lordship has urgent matters to attend, and has left the rule of Alesbridge to Lady Robyn." Almost immediately, the buzz below erupted, but for the Captain's stentorian voice which scattered it, that he might continue with his speech. "Her Ladyship will now address you."

Quick as lightning, he stepped aside and Robyn forward, disallowing the noise to regroup. "My dear friends of Alesbridge, I bid you good morning." At this, a few cheers rang out, particularly from a few enamoured lads. "My father has kept our city safe all these years, and I trust that you will not forget that in a hurry." Stern was her voice, but not threatening; she knew that a slow, measured tone would add years of maturity to her appearance, which she had already taken pains to address. "As you all know, Rehan arrived two evenings ago to help us fight our enemy in the forest." The cheers grew as the crowd warmed up to this lady who had to bear her father's burden. "Rehan and I were in the forest yesterday, and surveyed the territory that our enemy roams about. We have both returned alive."

There were gasps all around, very audible, and she took a deep breath before going on. "This is no simple enemy that we face, my friends. And your safety remains my greatest priority." Her eyes were pleading, and she bent forward, her hands pressing on the verandah. "The fact that I have returned, shows that this creature does not slay mindlessly. She attacks only when she is threatened, or when she sees her beloved forest tarnished." What were they thinking? Why was there a complete gulf of silence? "I have thought about the future of our city, over the past hours, and my conclusion is this." Another pause. "We leave the forest alone."

"Leave the forest alone? You've got to be joking!"
"What about my loved ones? Did they die for nothing?"
"This is what happens when an ignorant though well-meaning lass takes over the helm of things!"
"You have no real power! We want another stand-in!"
"But she's right, isn't she? Leastways, she's returned alive!"
"What about my business? I need wood!!"
"It makes sense that you're left alone if you leave others alone..."
"The city isn't safe anymore, we must flee!"
"What does she know about handling administrative matters? Why should we listen to her?
"Give her a chance! We were young once, as well!"
"How do you know things will be better if you leave? There is no such guarantee in life."

She stood there, willing herself to face the confused crowd. I have to convince them. Taking a deep breath, she waited some more. Give me strength and courage, Father. And if I am not too greedy... some luck, too. But almost immediately, she flushed, remembering her responsibility for his current plight. It was not fair to ask more of him at a time like this.

Clearing her throat, she cried out. "I cannot chain you to Alesbridge, my friends! But please remember this: wherever you choose to be - here, or elsewhere - I, Robyn of Mehlingard, will remain in Alesbridge! And my decision will still be the same: to leave the forest alone, at least until we can find a better way of dealing with the enemy." As the bickerings and mutterings dispersed, the faces looked amongst themselves, quite speechless. "I will be here, to face the consequences of this decision. And those who believe in me, are more than welcome to stay with me in our lovely city."

"But what about our businesses?"
"We will incur higher transport costs to avoid the forest!"

Her eyes glistened with empathy. "I may not be personally involved in the day-to-day running of your businesses, but I can imagine your difficulties." There were grudging nods to her reply. "Today, I am setting up an office at the bottom of this tower where you may approach the clerk with your specific concerns and problems. We will look into these, one by one. That is a promise."

She had said enough, and it was time for the citizens to make their decision. Wearily, she made her last statement:

"I am with you, my friends." She almost choked on the next words.

"Are you with me?"

There was an awful pause of silence, before the crowd burst out into a chorus of whistles, cheers and "I suppose so"'s.

Stepping back, Robyn wiped away the tears that had relentlessly fought their way to her eyes.
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote