View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #8
Spiff
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh, after coming back from the expansion it was easier. Maybe I should have taken a break in the middle of the expansion to play through more of the main story, now I know for next time. I still have to be careful though, I got a few characters killed by tarnished sentries because I got a bit over confident.

I'm sure I don't need four tanks to beat the game, but I like it that way [img]smile.gif[/img] I played through IWD2 with a very mage/sorc heavy party. Horrid Wilted and Bansheed everything. I thought I'd play through IWD with more of a melee approach.
The ranged characters are useful for keeping enemy casters under control and softening up enemies a little before my tanks get to them. Once the tanks are all buffed with spells like Emotion Hope and Courage, Barkskin, Holy Might, Recitation, Prot from Evil and others they charge in swinging.
Seems that I rarely use summons, most of the spells I use are to help the tanks out. Things like Web, Entangle or Spike Stones slow down the enemy, especially after they’ve been hit with a malison and recitation. I do cheat and use spells like Skull Trap and Horrid Wilting to speed things along, but I usually try to rely on the tanks to get me through most situations.
I know this strategy doesn’t push the party to their full potential, but it is still fun for me. I’ll probably end up playing a little more intelligently when I go through again on HoF mode, start using a larger variety of spells and tactics, but until then I’ll keep relying on my tanks.

I didn't realize I was so close to the end of the game though. I think I will just keep the party as it and change a few classes around for HoF mode. Maybe swap the bard for a dualed fighter mage and the multi class fighter druid for a dual class fighter druid. Might consider changing the ranger/cleric out for something else too...
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote