View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #85
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You and I are simply on the opposite sides of this issue, Throfinn. All good change comes about slowly. (Where did conservatives forget what "conservative" meant? I guess conservative really just means "greedy businessman.") Not being careful is, IMO, not only immature and selfish, but also aimed at and most successful at fattening fat cats and trodding upon the downtrodden.

If the precautionary principle were always followed, 3-mile island and Love Canal wouldn't have occurred. Zebra mussels wouldn't be choking the Great Lakes, kudzu wouldn't be choking the southern forests, and the Dutch Elm thing would not have happened. The ozone hole would have been a non-occurrence rather than something we must back up and fix.

To those who have not the patience to do things rightly instead of simply quickly I say nothing good was ever done half-assed. Because sometimes, and sooner or later, the problem you create is not one you can backtrack and fix.

Plus, forgive me for saying so, but you are quite audacious to denegrate the notion of precaution in the face of cancer. You've never watched someone die of mesothelioma - being actually choked to death by their own lungs.

We are asked to respect each other's view on these forums. I appreciate that request. However, on this issue, I respect your right to your view, but I have nothing but disrespect for the view itself. For that reason it is probably unwise for me to continue this debate. I am sorry.

As well, this thing has gotten so [img]graemlins/offtopic.gif[/img] it's actually funny. To the other posters, I apologize.