View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #32
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
A toothpick that pokes someones eye out is misused. It is designed to clean your teeth.
A car that crashes, deviates from it's purpose. It's designed to transport you from one place to another.

A guns sole purpose is to terminate life. Special bullets that explode when inside a body? Guns that fire off countless bullets per second? Come on! They have no other purpose. A gun that kills is doing precisely what it's intended to do. Thus the manufacturer is directly responsible for designing, creating, assembling and making publicly available a thing that will end someones life.
You are splitting hairs my friend, the car you say is made for transportation, but the guy it ran over is just as dead as if you had shot him with a bullet, and if he was drinking while driving the alcohol manufacturer should also be sued. It is a ludicrous concept to sue the manufacturer of a legal product for it's misuse. Guns are made and sold to the general public for self protection, sport and hobby. If they are misused that is the person useing the item or driving the car or drinking the alcohols fault, not the manufacturer. By the way, NOT all guns are made to terminate life, there are quite a few designed for target shooting only.[/QUOTE]You don't need an Uzi to practice target shooting.

The key issue for me is the intent of the device. A kitchen cutting knife is not the same thing as a Katana.

Charlie, gunpowder exists for other purposes other than propelling bullets too. Fireworks for example. It's the application of the invention/discovery into an instrument of death.

Ah whatever. I'm over it now anyway... just throwing that idea out there. If a lawyer wants to run with it it may make a diff. but I'm not a lawyer.

http://www.hughwilson.com