View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Some friends & I were talking about drug use, treatment vs. punishment. One guy said

"In England, I believe a person can be declared a legal drug addict, and purchase medical grade heroin through medical supervision. Each one is registered, known, and can purchase a predictable product that can be delivered in much safer ways. The prices are low enough to really defeat the purpose of street sales, people aren't robbing, burglarizing, and preying on people at cash machines to support their habits. IIRC, almost all of these people produce a reliable, predictable income, and pay taxes."

Apparently the theory was drug use causes health problems because of the impurities (talcum powder, ground glass, etc) used to cut the stuff. Medical grade drugs can be taken in smaller, safer doses, leaving a productive citizen with a manageable problem. I've never heard of this. True? Anybody know anything about it? I'm looking for statistics on crime or health care, or documented case studies that would shed light on this. Working/not working? Does the program still exist? Opinions welcome...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote