View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah, there's nothing wrong in taking some crack, I'm your friend, I wouldn't give you drugs if it was a good idea, try it it's fun!

Seriously, I'm actually ashamed I was so blinded I didn't realise how wow really was. Sure, it look nice, and they're good at getting you in, but once you're there it's just a big grind, it's the most mmorpg ever. Sure, every games has some grinding and time sink, but wow is just one big time sink, everything they do is about grinding.

You want to craft? You have to grind for material. You want a mount? You have to grind. You want to pvp? More grinding. You want decent items? Grinding.

I spent hundred of hours to get my blue set, I ran stratholme, scholomance etc every day for months to finally complete my set. What did I do when I got it? I started all over again for my purple set. I had 9-10 or so epic items if I remember right, I spent on average 30 or so hours raiding for each. What did we do after hundred hours when we mastered Molten Core and Onyxia? Moved on the the newest instance. Now I'm sure my old guild is drooling at the thought of spending more hundread of hours doing the newest raid over and over again until they finally are ready to move on to the next after that.

Did I have fun doing that? I guess at first, the first 2-3 times, until I knew the tricks of every bosses. When he spam x message stand there, if he spam this one do that. It's always the same thing, there's nothing new. You go in the new dungeon, stand around for 5-6 hours every night, and learn what reaction you must do when the monster say or do something, it's so basic you could train a monkey to do it, except he wouldn't stand around for 5-6 hours every day.

And now, what do I have to show for the thousands of hours I spent playing warcraft? What did I get working on getting characters to 60, killing the same monsters over and over again for reputation, the hours I spent looking for components and raising my crafting skills, farming cash for mounts and elite items? Nothing. I didn't play a game, there was no real gameplay, I simply worked a repetitive job so that I could raise numbers in a program, I simply worked for blizard, but instead of them paying me, I paid them to work for them.

[ 09-09-2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]