View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
DeSoya
Manshoon

Cantor and set theory can kiss my honky butt.
My problem with them is that every class uses sets but set theory itself is a 4000 level class that I'm recommended not to take. I am, however, taking introduction to topology next semester. I'm doing some prep for Abstract Algebra right now. Group Theory. Woo.

I think that one of the problems is that creativity isn't being engendered in the lower grades. Too many kids who get bored with whatever pap is being taught to them by our, overworked, undertrained educators get diagnosed with ADD and are drugged into submission. Or they just tune things out and aren't prepared to do the science when they get to College. High school doesn't really have the curriculum to prepare someone to go into the sciences. There is the option of taking Advanced Placement or College Prep classes but those fail in two ways. First the AP classes mostly teach you how to take the test. And college prep doesn't really have anything to do with college work. Certainly you could introduce topics that might be covered in college but a) the class will never move as quickly and b) the environment in college is totally different (and I'm not talking about dorm living). No professor will chase after you the way a high school teacher will. In essence we are ruining it all early. Kids think they want to go into science and, upon reaching college realize that they're going to have to put in a ton of work to pass and graduate. Then they see the business school and change majors. It's all pretty depressing.

DeSoya