View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 12:43 AM   #6
Cienden
Manshoon

A few notes...I was "down under" a few years back. Stayed in a small town named Oberon, nestled in the blue mountains, in NSW. About 3 hours north-ish from Sydney if I remember correctly. Biggest town nearby I think was some place named...Bathurst? I'm not sure how it was spelled.

Do koala's actually exist? I visited a large park in NSW and a road sign signified by a silhouette that koala's frequented the next 20 kilometer stretch of road. Never saw one!

I got sick of roos. After I saw my first few dozen and got within about 20 feet of a joey, I had enough of them and put my camera up. I've come to the conclusion they aren't much different than deer from America cept they aren't as skittish and hop instead of run.

Amen about the wombats. We almost hit one driving at night.

My friends told me I had an American accent and "talked funny". It was humorous hearing about myself from their perspective.

I tried chatting with a guy my friends introduced me to and I could understand barely a word he said. Gotta watch that Irish/Aussie accent. Aaaggh!!

Wierd words...fairdinkum..at least it's original!

Rode a train from Mount Victoria (I think...north of a town named Katoomba--great town, cept for the heavy fog the day we went there and the guy that commited suicide at the park we were touring--) down to Sydney past Perth and all that. Geez. I swear Sydney and it's suburbs start about 50 kilometers out and half the population lives there.

Oh well, it was interesting. In fact one our friends is on her way over here in the States as I type.

[ 03-13-2004, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Cienden ]