View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 03:46 PM   #27
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
I think it is patently obvious that most Americans seem to value American lives more than those of people of other countries.

It is patently obvious that most Americans care a good deal more about terrorist threats to the US than to other countries.

The same could probably be said of the attitudes of most other countries in the world. It is common to value the people closest to you more (and I mean this as much in personal and cultural senses as physical) than people further away.

I don't see any point in denying this basic truth.
Dio, while I DO understand your point, I've got to say that a life is a life and I cry when someone is blown up on a bus in Israel or shot in northern Ireland or gunned down in Bosnia or Palestine... need I go on? This has 'my countrymen' overtones,yes, but again LIVES were taken. That's what counts for me.

YES, this hit us all very hard here in the US, but I also think it's a valid point that many of us would be equally outraged if this happened someplace else. We are not all alike, and I don't for one minute think I'm speaking for everyone, but I know that I do speak for many. Tragedies of this magnitude are horrendous ANYWHERE.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."