View Single Post
Old 12-11-2001, 12:05 PM   #5
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It seems to me that preset encounters are the same regardless of what level you are. Most random or randomized encounters reflect your current level, however.

For example, if you go back to the Monastery when you are high level (I did when my characters were in their twenties), you will see changes in the kind of monsters that are generated to a degree. While there, I fought Stalker Seekers, perhaps Greater Seekers, huge red slimes, Metallic Slimes, and a few powerful bats and roaches. But a Greater Demon never showed, up. Some puny Green Slimes - the same slimes that appear when you are level one - did still appear, however.

So I think it works this way: each area has a set type of monsters that can appear there, ranging from relatively weak to relatively strong of that type. If you are low level, you usually get the weaker versions, and if you are higher level you usually get the stronger versions. You also get purely random encounters within the monster pool. Regardless, you will never get a Green Slime on Ascention Peak. [img]smile.gif[/img]

To respond to the original post, I'd say that if the fights are too hard and you're not enjoying yourself, you should back off and spend more time elsewhere. You can reach up to level 50 in this game, so take your time and enjoy each area until you are ready to move on.