View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #29
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Take deep breaths , Barry. I wasnt attacking professors and schoolkids. I was just makeing a smart ass remark about the unwashed masses and the lazy "activists". Since you took the time to post such a large response I will at least pay you the respect to answer it.

Quote:
So, if you want all students and professors to go and "get real jobs" because they aren't "normal people" are you saying you are not in favour of higher education at all? Or are you simply saying that if you are involved in higher education you should not be allowed to have a political voice (lets forget all about the "get a real job" bit for that one, shall we? I expect that a large number of people went to University on this forum and it does them a disservice to say that they shouldn't have bothered but instead they should have got a "real job").
To start , ALL students should have some kind of job when they are going through school. Depending on handouts from the state or from their parents breeds lazieness and a "someone else will fix it" attitude. Higher education is a priveledge , not a right.Being involved in higher education doesnt exclude you from haveing opinions , but you should keep that opinion to yourself!! Teachers are dealing with impressionable students and shouldnt be allowed to push their own personal agendas around a class room. As for University being a waste of time , well that depends on what you do with it. If you put it to use like TL and Attalus do , then NO you didnt waste your time. If you did like my friend and went through 6 years of University only to decide to be a car salesman then YES you wasted both time and money.

Quote:
Either way, whichever one you are saying, I can't see a single strand of logic to back up your idea. I hate it when people say things along that line - it utterly dimisses the arguments of a group of people for no other reason than their occupation. So students aren't allowed a voice who is exactly? If you can only voice your opinion if you are gainfully employed then are the retired allowed a say? The unemployed? Just taking your argument to its logical conclusion. Not even that, in fact, as you propose that some jobs aren't even "real" (professors for example) so who knows where you draw the line between who can have their say and who can't. Does everyone who educates for a living not have a real job?
As far as this whole block goes my opinions are as follows, A If you cant or DONT vote then you have no say., B If you dont have a job or are living on handouts from the government then you should shut up and be thankfull someone is there to make up the slack from your lazieness. Even wheelchair bound and blind people can hold down jobs., C A "real"job is any job where you get paid for preforming a task. So , no I dont consider being a student a job. A job builds character and work ethics and shows you what you can do with whatever talents you possess.