View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 07:51 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
This guy ,whoever he is, is a sociopath. Having a gun or not would not stop him from preying on people. Just like having a million and one laws on the books that try to prevent these kinds of tragedies won't stop them. Bad things do happen to good people. The best that we can hope for is that law enforcement can find this yahoo quickly enough before he targets someone else. Like it or not, the law is reactionary, not proactionary. Make it proactionary, and the floodgates to abuse are left wide open.
Well, so much for not introducing the gun debate. Does that mean you can't outlaw something if it is considered a social ill? What about drugs?? A proactionary law (outlawing something seen as a social ill BEFORE it can be put to ill use) abounds in the law. Sorry, but if the government can tell you you must wear a seatbelt, it can certainly tell you you can't own a gun. (Note - I'm NOT saying it *should*, just that it *can* and *does* and it is not seen as abuse).[/qb][/QUOTE]I didn't notice anyone campaigning for theoutlawing of drugs in this debate. There are quite a number of people here who have the intelligence to realize that prohibition doesn't work, wether for alcohol, tobacco, drugs or firearms. As for helmet laws and seatbelt laws those are two prime examples of the national nanny movement. Im an adult, don't need the government protecting me from my self thank you. but all of this debate is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic so lets all drop it?

[ 10-07-2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]