View Single Post
Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 PM   #5
Mellagar

National morality seems to change more than my sock drawer it seems nowadays. A person whether they are 12 or 75 have certain amount of reason about them, and that's what needs to be looked at. In all honesty age has nothing to do at all with knowledge of their actions. A 12 year old is caught dealing drugs at school, a 45 year old man pleads insanity. Was the 12 year just confused or did he see money and ignore the consequences? Just as the older man, was he really insane or was he just trying for a lesser sentence? The point is, just because someone is older or younger does not mean they any more or less responsible for their actions. I don't think enough credit is given to the intelligence of people and we label them as either too young to know any better or too old to even check their colostomy bag.
As for the reintroduction of harsher punishments, I wonder when they were really all that harsh to begin with? I've seen criminals get 10 years for smoking a joint, while another convicted of rape gets out of prison in 5 years for "good behavior" <-- Now there's a play on words. I think "Does not work well with others." rings to mind.

"I say take em out in the back with a baseball bat."