View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #33
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Dirty Meg; the greatest patriot who ever lived.

British homes can vary a lot... I can't really add a lot more, as it would echo a lot of what has been said.

My entire house is carpetted... a light 'beige' sort of colour. Except in the newly built conservatory where the flooring is wood - it seems to be the 'new thing'. The rooms are usually square or rectangular, with doors on the far end of a wall, rather than in the middle of a wall. The stairs to access upstairs are at the far end of the house and curve 90 degrees after 3 or 4 steps. There is no cellar/basement. Unlike many American homes where the attic is easily accessible via a slide down staircase, we have to open a shaft in the upstairs ceiling and poke a ladder up there. Doors are made of wood, except for doors which lead outside, which are made mostly of glass. Walls are decorated subtly - no bright reds or blues as these tend to 'invade' you and make the room seem smaller. We stick to calm colours like beige, white, or robin blue, for example. It's true, we hang up many pictures, paintings, photographs, souvenirs, etc. on the wall as it makes the rooms seem homely and gives the house personality and character. While our houses and rooms are not always the biggest in size, they are usually well thought out when it comes to architecture.

BTW, Gangrell has a good point - if this lil' argument doesn't stop, the thread will be locked and Spelca won't have had a lot of help. I suggest one of you should be the bigger man and back down, letting the other one make the last comment.

Hope I've contributed somewhat, Spelca! [img]smile.gif[/img]