View Single Post
Old 10-02-2001, 06:44 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Zbyszek:

Have you heard about the conference in Rio de Janeiro? about the Kyoto agreements (reduction of industy gasses emissions). Do you know the US had not and will not sign it? Because it means costs, they have recession so they have to increase consumption rate to boost the economy. They are chopping down trees. They cant care for environment, they are selfish, they are terrorists - they think only about now. Increased consumption - a cure for problems. Do you need to consume so much? we are wasting a good deal of anything: food, clothes. Do we need new car every 3 years? Do we need to eat whales (Japanese like it - there is freedom, they can), do we need to consume so much?
I have heard voices that western economy needs immigrants to preserve wealth of thier societies. We are growing old and need someone to work for us. It means that each generation has be more numerous than previos one. Is it OK? I am saying that our economical system is sick. .
Zbyszek - ok, don't agree with a lot of the above, yes, we have a population problem.... agree with you on that, however, find your root cause analysis somewhat simplistic.

However, good point on economics! You are absolutely right, and to my mind this is the most fatal flaw in economic theory (and practice.) Our system is based on growth. The most 'successful' countries are those with the biggest growth in GDP. Unfortunately, this is horrendous news for the planet. More and more and more of us consuming more and more. Yup, go out and consume more for your country. It's your patriotic duty to do so.

This may work short term FOR SOME, but in the long term it is death for all of us. Anyone with a solution, throw it this way. I have a theory, but it's long, and it's late, and I'm going to bed.

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us