View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 03:37 PM   #7
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
In actuality we do spend a lot on intelligence, but recently (last 10 years) the spending has been drastically reduced. The problem then is what do you spend the money on...electronic or human intelligence. We have gone the way of electronic intelligence and even the top people (director of intelligence...) are saying that was the wrong way to go.

I think it would be extremely hard to infiltrate bin Laden's group. It is sure death if one is caught, unlike other 'spies' that may just face jail or imprisonment while the countries work out a deal for release.

Now in response to the 'peace' notion. We are dealing with terrorists that have proven time and again that they are willing to kill without regard to civilians/military/men/women/or children. While a peaceful solution, of course, is ideal, in this context it is out of the question. Terrorists kill and destroy...there are no ifs ands or buts about that. They will not negotiate, they will not attend 'talks' or 'summits'...they kill! The only way to deal with them is to attack and destroy them. If we sit back and try to solve this in a civalized manner then we are all but dead. I for one do not want my government to try and reason with these people, b/c it cannot be done. Do you want to get on an airplane, or attend a huge gathering, or take a job in a large office complex, while your government sits back and tries to negotiate with barbarians? I don't!! Barbarians only understand death and destruction and that is what needs to be dealt to them...not a nice letter pleasantly asking that they don't kill any more people and turn themselves in
Moridin, while I understand your viewpoint, and to some extent share it, you must realise that any MILITARY action will cause the deaths of very many innocent people - far more than were killed in the airplane attacks.
Even if it is PROVED that bin Laden was behind it - and it hasn't been yet - the Afghani people as a whole cannot be held responsible for him and his terrorists. YET IS THESE PEOPLE who will suffer in any military action. You can be sure bin Laden and his followers are in a place of safety. The ONLY sensible thing to do is to try and make the Taliban see reason and hand him and his people over to justice - INDEPENDANT justice: NOT US justice. NOT UK justice. NOT European justice. He should be tried by combined Western/Eastern juctice, including Russian and China. That way we stand a chance of coming out of this with no more damage.

------------------