Thread: Evolution
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2003, 09:36 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by daan:
It's based on pure luck if you ask me ( and quite a few newer scientists ), nature has a balance, if you come along and dont fit the equilibrium you can be as tough as you want .. you wont survive.
Its about being in the right place at the right time, not how strong you are.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. But having big muscles does help

And Moiraine, in what I have observed so far it would appear that some creationists (ie: those that believe that humankind was created in the image of the divine God) find the idea of shared ancestry and evolution repulsive in that it downplays humankind's uniqueness and importance and as a species. It can deride the notion that humankind is special, created as superior by God to rule over the animal kingdom (a popular reformation-era concept). Evolution suggests that contemporary humankind was sculpted from a series of accidental environmental occurences and selective mating. This derides the notion that the image of the God can be found in the form of humankind. It hints at the idea that humankind is not special. That it was not created to rule. That it is merely an animal itself, rising to dominance through exploitation of opportunity. In essence, merely a luckier-than-average beast. Some, just some, are unable to cope with the apparent lawlessness and lack of meaning in this notion.

[ 02-24-2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]