View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Got to say I'm not impressed with them from experiences some friends have had. It's easy to cut the wires or have the power go off to the fence and NOT KNOW IT til you lose a dog.

Someone I know lost two of her dogs and they were killed on the highway....extremely sad! Seems a gardener had cut a wire and they hadn't realized it to fix it in time.

Another friend had hers get lost for a day when her power to the fence was cut and she didn't realize it. Drove them frantic looking for the pups. Her little boy was nearly inconsolable til they found them. She still likes and uses the fencing but is VERY paranoid about it working and plans to get a regular fence as soon as they can afford it in their new home.

So all in all, I'm more inclined to recommend a regulation fence but I realize cost may be an issue in that case. We've got a 6 ft privacy fence (cedar) so when we get a dog, my only concerns will be blocking the back corner where it's raised up half a foot to let water drain off the property and keeping the pup from digging up my plants!

Umm... I just realized you have 'wireless' in the topic...not sure about a totally wireless fence, only kind I know of have wires buried and use electronic pulses at that point to send a 'shock' to the dog's collar.

[ 06-27-2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]