View Single Post
Old 06-11-2001, 08:19 PM   #1
Tancred
White Dragon

For any Sherlock Holmnes fans here...

"How many constables have you?" asked Holmes.
"There are three within call."
"Excellent! May I ask if they are all large, able-bodied men with powerful voices?"
"I have no doubt they are, though I fail to see what their voices have to do with this." Aegisfield's face was a very picture of puzzlement.
"Perhaps I can help you to see that and one or two other things as well," said Holmes. "Kindly summon your men, and I will try."
Five minutes later, three members of the Athkatla watch were assembled in the bar of the Crooked Crane tavern.
"In the stables yonder you will find a considerable quantity of straw," said Holmes. "I will ask you to carry in two bundles of it. I think it will be of the greatest assistance in producing the witness whom I require. Thank you very much. I believe you have some tinder in your pack, Watson? Now, Inspector, would you kindly send one of your constables for a bucket of water? Put the straw on the floor here, please. Now... I think we are ready."
Aegisfield's face had begun to grow red and angry.
"I don't know if you are playing a game with us, Mr. Holmes," said the Athkatla Inspector. "If you know anything, you can surely say it without all this tomfoolery."
"I assure you, my good Aegisfield, that I have an excellent reason for everything I do. Might I ask you, Watson, to open that window, and then to put a match to the straw?"
I did so, and driven by the draught a coil of gray smoke swirled across the bar while the dry straw crackled and flamed.
"Now we must see if we can find this witness for you, Aegisfield. Might I ask you to join in the cry of 'fire'? Now then, one, two, three -"
"FIRE!" We all yelled.
"Thank you. I will trouble you once again."
"FIRE!"
"Just one more, Gentlemen, and all together."
"FIRE!!!" The shout must have rang across Athkatla.
It had hardly died away when something amazing happened. A door suddenly flew open out of what appeared to be solid wall at the far end of the bar, and a wizened corpse lurched out of it, like a badger from its' burrow.
"Capital!" said Holmes, calmly. "Watson, throw a bucket of water over the straw. That will do! Aegisfield, allow me to present your principal missing witness, Bob the Liche, the thief of the Sunblade, Daystar."

Tancred